Arrival & Dismissal of Students
- Crossing guards, provided by the Borough of Brooklawn, are stationed at the following areas: corner of Marne Rd. and Broadway, the railroad crossing, the corner of Bergen and Hannevig, the corner of Bergen and Haakon, and at the corner of Bergen and Browning. All students/parents/guardians are to follow the directions of the crossing guards and must cross at the corners.
- Students are not to arrive on school grounds before 8:10 am.
- Students that arrive early (unless they are attending the Latch-Key Program) will receive a warning and a letter will be sent home. If the student continues to arrive too early, detention will be issued and a parent conference may be scheduled. Please cooperate with this rule; it is for the safety of your child
- Supervision will be provided by our staff beginning at 8:10 in the three areas where students are to line up *please refer to your parent handbook for this information
- The line-up bell will ring at 8:18 and the students will enter the building at 8:20
- Students will go directly to their classrooms (students in grades 5-8 will go to their locker and then directly to their assigned homeroom) Teachers are in their classrooms when the students enter.
Students leaving the building during scheduled lunch period.
- Our school offers a lunch program. This information is included in your child’s first day “take home” packet. Lunch period is one hour. Mon, Wed, Thurs & Fri 11:40 – 12:40 Tuesday 11:20 – 12:20. Students have the option of staying in school and buying/packing lunch, or going “home” for lunch. NOTE: Crossing guards, provided by the Borough of Brooklawn, are stationed at the corner of Marne & Broadway, at the railroad crossing, at the corner of Bergen and Hannevig, at the corner of Bergen and Haakon, and at the corner of Bergen and Browning for students leaving/returning at lunch time.
- Staff members are also on duty in the lunchroom and on the blacktop of the school. Students that leave for lunch must not return to school more than 10 minutes before the bell rings to enter the school and report directly to the black-top area for entrance to school, NO students should enter the building through the Main Office unless they are late, and the playground doors are locked. STUDENTS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO CROSS RT. 130 DURING SCHOOL HOURS UNLESS ACCOMPANIED BY A PARENT/GUARDIAN.
END OF THE DAY DISMISSAL
- Students being dismissed at the end of a regular school day weather it be 2:55, 2:25 or a half session day 12:30 must leave the building is an orderly manner. Students are dismissed from their class when the bell rings. Students in grades 5-8 will go to their lockers and get their belongings/books etc. Students in grades Pre-K – K & 1 are escorted out of the building by their teacher. Staff members will be strategically placed in the hallways to supervise dismissed. Once the student leaves the building, they should go directly home (or to their designated place). There is no school supervision outside of the school during dismissal. Crossing guards, provided by the Borough of Brooklawn, are stationed at the corner of Marne Rd. and Broadway, at the railroad crossing, at the corner of Bergen and Hannevig, at the corner of Bergen and Haakon, and at the corner of Bergen and Browning. All students/parents/guardians are to follow the directions of the crossing guards and must cross at the corners.
- Students are not to hang-out on school grounds unless supervised by an adult. The school district cannot be responsible for a child that leaves school at the normal dismissal time and has to “wait“at the school until they can be “picked-up”. Please refer to our Latch-key program information if needed *this does not apply to students participating in after school sports/activities that are sponsored by the school.
- Students will not be dismissed at anytime other than lunch/end of the day normal dismissal times to walk home. Any students leaving school during the normal school day other than regular dismissal times must be picked up by an adult – and signed out in the main office. (Please refer to the leaving early section of the parent/student handbook)
- Please inform your children that if they are normally picked up at dismissal time and their ride/person is not at the school – they should come back into the main office and a phone call will be made by a staff member. *please make sure that the school has all of this information on the emergency contact form – also, please be sure to up-date this information as often as necessary during the school year. NOTE: It is the parent/guardian’s responsibility to notify the school district –in writing- if the school is, under no circumstance to allow the child to walk home unescorted. Please refer to “Arrival & Dismissal of student” form in your child’s first day take home package.
- A school calendar is issued to your children on the first day of school. ALL of our school closing/half session days are listed on this calendar, along with other important information. You can also access our school calendar from our web site at www.alicecostello.com
Notices will be set home with your child if any changes need to be made to the school calendar. Please check the parent/student handbook for all information regarding emergency school closing for severe weather days.
INCLEMENT WEATHER DAYS
ALL students are to enter the building through the “gym” doors located in the BACK OF THE SCHOOL on inclement weather days. The doors to the gym will open at 8:10. Staff supervision will be provided and parents/guardians are not to enter the school with their children. (Please refer to the “visitors to the school” section of the parent/student handbook)